BIOL/CBIO 5040/7040, Electron Microscopy
Before you arrive at the lab, please do the following:
- Read the Standard Operating Procedures for the EM Lab.
- Complete the Right to Know Safety Module at the UGA Environmental Safety Division and bring the certificate to class.
- Please read Bruce Railsback's Comments on Ethical Issues of Research.
- Download the Lecture Syllabus.
- Download the Lab Syllabus.
- Download the EM Lab Manual.
REFERENCES: To access the e-version of the book "Electron Microscopy" by Bozzola and Russell go to the UGA library site www.libs.uga.edu, and click on Galileo Database button. Search for author "bozzola" and it should provide several options, one of which is the Electron Microscopy textbook. Choose the e-version and it will pop up for you. You may need to "electronically" check out the book if you are spending too much time or flipping through several pages.
The other text that will be helpful is available here as a PDF. It's called "Microscopy: Basics and Beyond" by Mortimer Abramowitz. This document will provide information on light and fluorescence microscopy.
- Electron Microscopy for Dummies – http://www.snaggledworks.com/em_for_dummies/
- TEM Basics – http://www.matter.org.uk/tem/default.htm
- Some basic EM techniques (neg staining, immuno labeling, etc...) – http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/electron-microscope/tem-techniques/
- Online EM preparation protocols - http://www.protocol-online.org/prot/Imaging_Techniques/Microscopy/index.html
Light and Laser Microscopy
- Molecular Expressions Optical Microscopy Primer - http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/index.html
- Basic light microscopy and associated techniques - http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/methods/microscopy/microscopy.html
- The Teaching Modules at EMBL (EAMNET) - covers general history, FRET, FRAP and other analytical microscopy methods.
- How to give a presentation and general talks on light and confocal microscopy.
- Nikon MicroscopyU - http://www.microscopyu.com/
- World of Lasers- Laser Basics - http://www.worldoflasers.com/laserbasics.htm
- Glossary of Laser Basics - http://www.aml.engineering.columbia.edu/ntm/Glossary.html
- Fluorescent Dye spectra (interactive) - http://greenfluorescentblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/fluorescence-spectrum-viewer/
MicroCT (x-ray tomography)
- Skyscan product site - http://www.skyscan.be/next/home.htm
- Toshiba MicroCT with how it works - http://www.toshiba-itc.com/cat/en/prod02.html
Lecture material (not necessarily in order)
- Safety in the Lab (Shields)
- History & Introduction (Shields)
- Specimen Prep (Shields)
- Dehydration (Shields)
- Embedding & Mounting (Shields)
- Artifacts (Shields)
- Coating & Mounting (Shields)
- Staining & Negative Staining (Shields)
- EM Gun and Optics (Shields)
- SEM Design (Formo)
- Lenses and Optical effects (Shields)
- TEM Design (Formo)
- Vacuum Systems (Shields)
- Detectors (Shields)
- X-ray (Shields)
- ESEM (Shields)
- Tomography (Shields)
- Matter Prep (Formo)
- Diffraction (Formo)
- CryoEM (Shields)
- Digital Images (Shields)
- Image Devices (Shields)
- Image Analysis (Shields)
- Autoradiography (Shields)
- Immunolocalization EM (Shields)
- Labeling (Shields)
- AFM & STM (Shields)
- Focused Ion Beam (Shields)
- Helium Ion Microscope (Shields)
- Light Microscopy (Shields)
- Confocal (Shields)
- FRET, FRAP, TIRF (Shields)