CBIO 8050, Modern Microscopy Techniques Resources
Before you arrive at the lab, please do the following:
- Read the Standard Operating Procedures for the EM Lab.
- Complete the Right to Know Safety Module at the UGA Environmental Safety Division and bring the certificate to class.
- Please read Bruce Railsback's Comments on Ethical Issues of Research.
- Download the Course Syllabus.
- Download the EM Lab Manual (pdf).
REFERENCES: To access the e-version of the book "Electron Microscopy" by Bozzola and Russell go to the UGA library site www.libs.uga.edu, and click on Galileo Database button. Search for author "bozzola" and it should provide several options, one of which is the Electron Microscopy textbook. Choose the e-version and it will pop up for you. You may need to "electronically" check out the book if you are spending too much time or flipping through several pages.
The other text that will be helpful is available here as a PDF. It's called "Microscopy: Basics and Beyond" by Mortimer Abramowitz. This document will provide information on light and fluorescence microscopy.
- Electron Microscopy for Dummies – http://www.snaggledworks.com/em_for_dummies/
- TEM Basics – http://www.matter.org.uk/tem/default.htm
- Some basic EM techniques (neg staining, immuno labeling, etc...) – http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/electron-microscope/tem-techniques/
- Online EM preparation protocols - http://www.protocol-online.org/prot/Imaging_Techniques/Microscopy/index.html
Light and Laser Microscopy
- Molecular Expressions Optical Microscopy Primer - http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/index.html
- Basic light microscopy and associated techniques - http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/methods/microscopy/microscopy.html
- The Teaching Modules at EMBL (EAMNET) - covers general history, FRET, FRAP and other analytical microscopy methods.
- How to give a presentation and general talks on light and confocal microscopy.
- Nikon MicroscopyU - http://www.microscopyu.com/
- World of Lasers- Laser Basics - http://www.worldoflasers.com/laserbasics.htm
- Glossary of Laser Basics - http://www.columbia.edu/cu/mechanical/mrl/ntm/Glossary.html
- Fluorescent Dye spectra (interactive) - http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/IPC/spectra_page.htm
MicroCT (x-ray tomography)
- Skyscan product site - http://www.skyscan.be/next/home.htm
- Toshiba MicroCT with how it works - http://www.toshiba-itc.com/cat/en/prod02.html
Lecture material (not necessarily in order)
- Safety in the Lab (Shields)
- Tomography (Farmer)
- Brightfield, Phase Contrast and Darkfield Microscopy (Farmer)
- Polarization and DIC (Farmer)
- Intro to EM (Fan)
- SEM (Fan)
- EDX (Fan)
- High Resolution TEM and STEM (Fan)
- Biological Sample Preparation (Shields)
- Image Devices (Farmer)
- Electron and x-ray Diffraction (Schroeder)
- Extended Pressure Scanning Electron Microscopy (Shields)
- Fluorescence and Filters (Farmer)
- Lasers and Confocal Microscopy (Farmer)
- Immuno Microscopy and other labels (Shields)
- Confocal and Multiphoton (Farmer)
- Electron Microscope Optics (Shields)
- Beam-Specimen Interactions (Shields)
- SEM Design (Shields)
- Detectors (Shields)
- SEM Sample Preparation (Shields)
- TIRF, FRAP, FRET (Shields)
- Cryopreparation and Cryo SEM (Shields)
- Intro to Image Processing (Farmer)
- Image Analysis (Farmer)
- Image Processing (Farmer)
- Cryo-TEM and Single Particle Reconstruction (Fan)
- WDS and EDS for EM (Shields)